SUPPORT STAFF TEAM
River City Interpreters for the Deaf (RCID) has reported a murder to the Texas Society of Interpreters for the Deaf (TSID) conference committee. Conference co- chairs, Sharon Nodine and Michelle Theiss, are beginning their investigation. We need our help! Private Investigators will meet in San Antonio at the Hyatt Regency Hotel, 123 Losoya Street, on June 15-18, 2017. Student Private Investigators will be trained June 14-15. We will get to the bottom of this mystery, but we need your help.
The conference committee is currently seeking enthusiastic, hard-working, flexible cadets from local academys to come down and help secure the crime scene from June 14-18, 2017. Conference Support Staff/Cadet responsibilities may include, but are not limited to: assisting the conference committee, the interpreter coordinator, assisting in workshops, operating the registration/information/silent auction area, and running errands.
Working on the Support Staff for a large conference is indeed hard work; however, the experience offers an incredible opportunity. While serving as Support Staff, individuals have the opportunity to interact with members of the Board of Directors and the TSID Conference Committee, various chapter officers, and interpreters from across the country. Selected applicants will also have the opportunity to observe speakers and interpreters who are making a mark on our profession!
All persons interested in applying are strongly encouraged to pre-register for the conference if planning to otherwise attend.
Support Staff members will receive:
- waived conference registration at the Combo Ticket level, including:
- opening ceremony, chapter rally, and President’s reception
- Saturday luncheon, business meeting, and banquet
- all workshops/activities
- any food/beverage breaks provided
- hotel accommodations, based on double occupancy, half of room rate, for four nights, June 14-17, 2017
- access to workshops and events when not on duty (if space allows)
- travel stipend of up to $100 if commuting from outside a 25-mile radius of conference site
Applicants must either:
- be enrolled in an interpreting program in the current academic year or
- have graduated from an interpreting program within the last year or
- have experience as Support Staff (student representative) for a state regional, or national conference within the last two years
The applicant must be a member of his/her state chapter and must be avail-
able and willing to work the entire conference.
- Support Staff application sheet, including the personal statement
- Unofficial transcript
- Two (2) Letters of recommendation
- The deadline to apply is April 20, 2017.